Saturday, September 12, 2015

Meet our Write-On! Competition Winners

The winners of our 2015 Write-On! Competition were announced at our June General Meeting and on our blog post Write-On! Competition Winners. We are now introducing our winners to you.

1st Place
Margaret Ward
The Long Journey of Mabel Ida Lewis Smith 

 I was born in Central India to Canadian missionary parents. My mother’s family had been in India for generations, many holding positions that kept the British Raj running – post office and railway, for example. My schooling was varied. I attended a private school in New York, a one-room school in rural Ontario, and boarding schools in India and Canada. Following my undergraduate years, I married a psychiatrist. After three biological children, we adopted eight others, aged from infancy to thirteen. Once I was widowed, I wintered in Arizona, and eventually married an Arizonan. I have degrees in English, and Child and Lifespan Development and taught in high school and college. For many years, my interest in family traditions had no focus. As part of my graduate studies, I undertook a personal development project in which I collected and shared family stories. That was the spark that lit focused genealogical research.


2nd Place
Debra Kabinier
The Tale of the Traveling China

 Debra Fowler Kabinier started working on genealogy with her two great aunts when she was a young teenager.  The three of them would conduct research at the old county library and local historical society.  Her quest for family history continued in small spurts but took a back-seat to raising a family and growing a career.  Now that she is retired, genealogy is her full-time hobby.  She hones her skills by attending conferences, webinars, and taking classes.








3rd Place
Doris Briscoe-Lyon
An Incident at the Well
 I grew up on a dairy farm in Oregon and spent the summers driving a tractor on a hay farm. Working outdoors made my spirit soar and I felt free and close to God and nature. I was born to be left-handed, but in school I was forced to write with my right hand which was a trial for me, but my left hand is still the strongest. In high school I received good grades for public speaking and writing. After raising six children, I began writing poetry which seems to come quite easily to me. So now I am writing poetry and my memoirs, which releases my creativity. When I need a change, I go for a walk or play the piano which has been a special gift to me. I had only eighteen months of lessons when I was ten years old, and I was told I'd never be a piano player. But I am! I feel so blessed!



Be sure to read the winning stories in the September 2015 issue of The PCGS Researcher (available now in the Members Only section of our website). And let our winners know how much you enjoyed reading them.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment